Rosemary McGrotha

Rosemary McGrotha was born November 8, 1958 in Tallahassee, Florida.

McGrotha was the antithesis of the conventional rail thin fashion model. A voluptuous brunette with piercing blue eyes, she broke the model stereotype and reigned in a category all her own, and was one of the most sought after models for more than a decade.

McGrotha was a tremendously popular editorial model. Some of her numerous covers included: Vogue, Elle, Bazaar, Self, Mirabella, Marie Claire, Cosmopolitan, Amica, Mademoiselle, New Woman, Moda, Femme and Redbook.

She was a favorite of photographer Helmut Newton who photographed her many times for various magazines; on the French Rivera for American Vogue, in front of a sculpture of Bismarck in Berlin and at the Brandenburg Gate for German Vogue.

Other exceptional photographers teamed up with Rosemary—Eric Boman, Guy Bourdin, Bill King, Irving Penn, Francesco Scavullo, Jacques Malignon, Denis Piel, Richard Avedon, Bert Stern, Andrea Blanche, Arthur Elgort.

Rosemary had an abundance of advertising clients: Complice, Clairol, Helena Rubinstein, Versace, Saks Fifth Avenue, Karat Gold Jewelry, Anne Klein, Monet, Alexandra de Markoff, Flemington Furs and Gucci. But her most memoral campaign was as Donna Karan’s first signature model and muse, McGrotha, in 1986, epitomized Karan’s sensual, sophisticated urban woman for years to come. She appears in almost all of the Karan ads. The most popular ads where of Rosemary portraying a woman who was President of the United States and still wasn’t afraid to show a little cleavage and a little leg.

Rosemary McGrotha-Pub Perrier

Comments

12 Responses to “Rosemary McGrotha”
  1. Annie says:

Hey!
    Totally drooling over your site.Is rosemarymcgrotha_smi_50 by Irving Penn?Which issue of Vogue?Thanks.

2. eva says:

Thank you so much! I am waiting for my web designer who is super busy right now to improve it so it’s easier to see all the albums-so it’ll get better I promise. I’ll try to figure out which one your asking me about and get back to you-I can’t tell at this point.

Thanks again!

Eva

3. eva says:

Okay, found it. Yes, that was shot by Penn, but I don’t know the issue, sorry. I had saved tears of other models when I made my site but they were just loose in folders. I could probably try to find out if you really want to know. I could post it on the Facebook fan page.

4. JACKIE HUTTON says:

I love her ads for DKNY. Very sophisticated. Have some Vogue Germany and Vogue US with her. A real woman. Beautiful eyes and great presence. I think she worked for Elizabeth Arden and those ads were fab. Isabella and Rosemary were just exceptional.

5. JACKIE HUTTON says:

The issue that it belongs to is Vogue Us January 1983. Currently I have it for sale on Ebay.
    Hope it helps. This is a fab issue.

6. Eva Voorhees says:

Thank you Jackie, you solved the mystery!

7. Jayne Copley says:

Number 69 has Joan Severance on the left, correct? Another dramatic looking gal. Wow.

8. Eva Voorhees says:

Yes, that’s Joan on the left.

9. Linda Penner says:

Rosemary McGrotha is another one of my all time favorite models. Her beauty is unique and flawless. The images that Eva has on this page is my dream for I had everyone of these photos at one time or another on my bedroom wall as a young adolescent girl. Rosemary’s looks can be strong and powerful or soft and delicate and the master photographers in those days worked their magic as well as she did. I love these photos of Rosemary. In addition she is from the good old USA which is getting to be rare lately:)

10. Nico says:

Elegance embodied!

11. leslie77 says:

One of my ultimate favourite models of the 1980′s, along with Joan Severance. I simply adored her Donna Karan advertising campaigns from the late 80′s, she was captivating and so cool.